RIPON TRIATHLON 26TH – 28TH JUNE 2020 / COVID-19 UPDATE
After the announcement from the British Triathlon Federation that the suspension of all Triathlon activity will be extended until 30th June, it is with great sadness and disappointment that we at NYP Tri Club will now not be holding this years Ripon Triathlon on 26th – 28th June.
We are now re-evaluating the situation and will make another announcement on Friday 27th March. As always, the safety of our competitors, spectators and everyone involved with the festival weekend is of paramount importance.
Again, thanks for your understanding and patience with this at this difficult time.
NYP Tri Club
RIPON Triathlon Festival Weekend 26th – 28th June 2020
Ripon, North Yorkshire
“at the heart of North Yorkshire”
- Sprint Tri – waves from 8-9am, Saturday
- Black Sheep Dip Swims – beginning 9am, Saturday
- Standard Tri – waves from 1pm, Saturday
- Junior races, Sunday (tbc), organised by NYP Tristars
Therefore, it’s unlikely you can do a Black Sheep Dip Swim & participate in the Sprint – but there is time to Swim and then race the Standard Tri!
About Ripon Triathlon Weekend
A fun friendly Triathlon Festival Weekend held in the picturesque city of Ripon – the oldest City in England!
Welcome to the Ripon Triathlon Festival Weekend! We are honoured you chose to be part of our weekend!
Family, friends, triathlon and swim competitions – camping, exhibitions and food glorious food…… all held from Friday 26th June to Sunday 28th June 2020.
**ALL RACING WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY 27TH JUNE**
In 2020 we will be holding the Sprint Triathlon on the Saturday, in order for you to get in on the vibe of the Ripon Triathlon Festival Weekend. Yes an early one for you sprinters… which means the Saturday BBQ Party can return to being a proper party! No early risers to race the next day (other than parents of the junior racers – sorry about that 😉)
We are honoured again in 2020 to have the full support of The Black Sheep Brewery to help us run this amazing event. The Black Sheep Brewery will be designing our awesome Medals and t-shirts – these iconic items are a must for your medal/ t-shirt collection. We also have spots available for other sponsors – click here to find out how you can get involved!
1. Sprint – dip your toes into the beautiful Ripon lake through the Black Sheep Dip gangway and enjoy the 750m swim, up over the matts into Transition (“T”) 1 for your scenic 20km bike ride, then finally stopping to swap your bike for your trainers and enjoy a flat 5km flat run through Littlethorpe to finish – picking up one of the best medals around! You won’t be disappointed.
2. Standard – Fancy something a little more challenging? Then line up…. for the standard (or as it’s sometimes called “Olympic” Distance) and enter Ripon Lake through the Black Sheep Dip passageway for your 1500m swim with the fish then into T1 for the undulating 40km bike route round some lovely Yorkshire villages – then zooming into T2 to pick up your sneakers and heading out towards Littlethorpe for your 10km run to finish receiving your lovely Black Sheep Medal.
3. Swim 750m – test your swimming by jumping into Ripon Lake for a great 750m swim in our lovely clear lake.
4. Swim 1500m – a little more challenging to swim and an opportunity to look out for some of our friendly fish!
5. Swim 3000m – oooh the biggy – this was a sell out in 2019 – so test your swim skills with the 3000m swim – all three swims finishing with a brilliant Black Sheep Brewery medal.
“NEWS ALERT: We have improved our race; new race consultant, new timing company! You will love it!”
1. Camping. We have camping on Friday 26th and Saturday 27th June- click here to book now
2. Competition. Oh yes!!! Spot prizes from our expo – lucky winners will be announced at the pre race brief (Details to follow soon – keep your eye balls on our Ripon Triathlon Facebook/ Instagram pages or Sign up to our news!)
3. Entertainment. We love the festival feel of the weekend and we love providing entertainment for all the family, good food, great atmosphere etc etc. There’ll be the Q&A, t-shirts, medals, children’s race, bands & showers on the run (let’s hope it’s a tad cooler!), bouncy castles, face painters, masseurs, Expo, competitions with spot prizes, Beer, food, more Beer, live entertainment and so on. (There’ll be more, we just haven’t thought of it yet).
ITINERARY – tell me mooooorrreeee……:
So, the itinerary is;
Friday: arrive and set up camp. Have a few beers & Friday Supper whilst being entertained by the Q&A – don’t miss our on the food – order now!
Saturday: Race head on! Breakfast and food served all day
- Bar Open from lunchtime
- Children entertained whilst mums and dads swim/race
- Party Time with Live Music and the famous athlete sized portion BBQ!
- Sunday: Leisurely lie in, breakfast, visit to Ripon and Fountains Abbey
9 SUPER FACTS you didn’t know about NYP Tri Club and Ripon Triathlon Festival Weekend
2. NYP Tri Club showcase the flagship event “The Ripon Triathlon festival weekend” – it’s ideal for families and their four legged friends to relax, take in the sights, shop and support loved ones as well as sup the local ale.
3. For 2020 onwards; we have hired Race Consultant; Georgie Rutherford (one time Ripon Tri Course Record Holder). With Georgie’s advice and support NYP Tri Club are managing the event with the intention of improving all we can! So your feedback is super important to us
4. From the local Littlethorpe Village next to Ripon, where runners jog through on a closed road – glad of being hosed down or fed handfuls of jelly babies by local residents to farmers putting on music and playing to their heart’s content to passers by. The cycle route is one scenic undulating route through North Yorkshire Countryside – giving athletes a good view of what’s to offer near Ripon.
5. Facilities are excellent, with easy access from the A1, Leeds Bradford Airport , Harrogate Train Station and fabulous bus routes.
6. The Festival weekend is fully supported yearly by the Black Sheep Brewery and their passion for people and beer.
7. The triathlon is an open water triathlon with access to the Ripon Racecourse Lake and we have introduced 3 swims which form the “THE BLACK SHEEP DIP”. The aim of the event is to turn the experience into one memorable first class event for all – whether participating in the Black Sheep Dip Swims or the triathlons. Follow our hashtag #RiponTriathlon and #BlackSheepDip – see us on Instagram
8. The festival weekend is privileged to be supported by Ripon Race Course; giving the festival several unique offerings; from the lake, access to acres of camping – book here + facilities such as parking and toilet as well as a short stroll into Ripon Town Center and nearby famous Fountains Abbey. Did you know: Ripon is the oldest City in England!
9. FAMOUS!! 220 Triathlon Magazine Martyn Brunt’s “great write up”on Ripon Triathlon
Don’t miss out! Sign up to our news and stay perfectly up to date with what we are doing! We promise, we won’t SPAM you with rubbish!! You have our word link is: www.ripontriathlon.co.uk – sign up now!
JOIN OUR ‘infectious’ Tri CLUB #NYPTri
For fifty quid you can join our unique, full packed fun triathlon club! You won’t be disappointed! We have a ton of juicy things you can do from open water swimming, subsidised tri specific training courses to discounted entries and awesome clothing! Find out about our unique tri club here
And here’s a video – a glorious day!!